Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thank God for Grace

About six months ago my dad brought up all my childhood memorabilia in storage bins and dumped them in the garage where they've sat ever since. I kind of got used to them blending in with the surroundings and neglected them until yesterday (much to Mike's dismay- sorry babe, i'll never do it again.) 

It was finally time to tackle the memories and purge myself from unnecessary... well... crap. Here are the things that didn't make the cut as keepers: 

Notes I received from friends circa 7th/8th grade... let's just say they should all be burned and no one should EVER read them.


Every corsage from every dance I went to. Really not necessary as I can't even remember who I went to most of the dances with.

Other losers:
Love letters from ex
Programs from random events
Rock collection 


But there were some winners!
My dad used to write us letters when he and mom had to go to work at night and we wouldn't get to see them. I apparently kept a lot of them; it was a nice surprise. 


Emo journals-- they're so dramatic it's ridiculous. But it was a nice reminder that God's grace is everlasting despite the temporary insanity that occurs during puberty. Annnd it was also a reminder  of  how important I thought things were in middle school, which always helps when you're a middle school teacher. 

Back in the boxes and up in the attic they go until the next time we move. 

2 comments:

AMYLE1GH said...

this journal entry is hilar. "i know i love him, but please give me a sign!"

i think you need another blog dedicated to ridiculous journal entries. i can probably find a few of mine to contribute.

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the purge! I like to live by the rules

1. If you haven't used it in a year, get rid of it.
2. If you forgot you owned it, get rid of it.

I'm so proud of you for not holding on!

Blog Archive