Tuesday, January 3, 2012

It's a New Year

I've been waiting for this moment for a while, simmering over what I would resolve to do this year and promise to actually fulfill. I've found myself filled with a profound sense of hope as I think about what will be in store for 2012. Not that 2011 was a bust or anything, but the latter half threw challenges our way that I'm ready to discard and start afresh. On the one hand, I don't know why I have to wait until 1/1 to 'start over' and set new goals, but on the other, I love the symbolic nature behind it all- that everyone can be a better person than the one they were the previous year.

But before I set ridiculous goals that I'll never accomplish, I spent time ruminating over what I feel were accomplishments of 2011. And here they are:

-We finished the major house-tasks
-Successfully grew a garden for the first time
-Fought our first battle with the lawn after winter-- and won!
-entertained a bunch
-Asian Invasion
-had a live-in maid... (haha) but seriously, got to live with my sister
-Rookie of the Year
-Odyssey of the Mind World Finals
-Filled our house with games
-Inaugural Couples' Trip
-Matron of Honor in my BFF's wedding
- Went to Harry Potter world and drank Butterbeer
-Kept track of all the books I've read(& want to read one day!) on Goodreads.com
- Didn't die teaching 2 grades
-Ran the Gate River and Rugged Maniac
-Went backpacking with Dad and Annie

And I'm sure there are more. But here are my resolutions from last year:


1. Actually meet people and get involved at church. Fail. I'll add it to this year's again.
2. Lose 10 lbs or 1 pant size by Amy's wedding (spring break!) Epic fail. In fact, I think I gained a pant size
3. Be better at sending thank-you cards. Lol. should i keep going?
4. Stick with the new devotional I got. *Sigh*
5. Go backpacking at least once per season. I went once?
6. Sew myself an apron. I was given one after this, no need to sew!
7. Find Christmas presents for others while traveling. TOTALLY meant to do this, and adding it to this year's.
8. Pray without ceasing.  Always. 
9. Take a picture a day & document it in a photo book at the end of the year (thanks for the idea, Hilary!) I DID kind of do this, although I kinda gave up on posting every day. This would be fun to still put into a book... 
10. Train for a triathlon. bahhahaha still no. 
11. Listen to more audio books instead of playing with phone. Finally! I did listen to a couple, and I kind of stopped playing with the phone while driving...
12. Not kill the citrus trees my neighbor gave me. OOO finally one FOR SURE!!! They're still kickin,' although I did have to sneak-attack the caterpillars taking over the grapefruit tree yesterday....

Okay, so maybe I didn't accomplish half the things I meant to. 
But it was still a pretty dang good year filled with awesome things. 

No comments:

Blog Archive