Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First Freeze

I'll attempt to blog more this year, even if it means writing about mundane occurrences in my not-always-eventful life. Take our first hard freeze, for example. I come home from work today, and everything. has. died. 

Enormous beautiful banana tree that provided shade and a tropical ambiance? Dead. 

JalapeƱos and green pepper that I made no attempt to cover? Dead. 
Good thing I 'harvested' everything this weekend, although now I have a million peppers rotting on my counter that I'm too lazy to freeze/can/whatever. 

I'm not sure how I feel about this sudden turn of weather. Usually I welcome Old Man Winter, but generally that's before the holidays when we're out looking at lights and singing carols and drinking hot chocolate, all that good stuff. Now it's January. 
Christmas break is over and I'm counting down the minutes until spring break. And I'm supposed to be shedding the proverbial ten pounds in a massive effort to be healthy once again.
I don't want to do anything if it's frosty outside. With my crankiness at the cold, which is totally unlike me, I'm wondering if I'd really ever be able to live somewhere snowy where I have to shovel driveways and stare at gray skies for months out of the year. Well for now, I'm tucked in my warm covers at 7 pm with a snuggly lab keeping watch next to be. He's curled into a tight ball, which means he's probably pretty cold as well. Maybe I'll make him scoot closer :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This made me laugh out loud! I think freezing should be illegal...right? Isn't everything so much prettier alive and blooming? : )

Blog Archive