Wednesday, May 22, 2013

It has begun!

After nearly a year's worth of anticipation, it's finally here. And I'm so happy to be here, like a kid in a candy store walking around with a huge dopey smile on my face. Where do I even start?! (Disclaimer: this post will be a rambling of sorts as I sit here and reflect on the last 24 hours...)

We  live in a city, a city with festivals and events going on every weekend, with amazing looking bakeries and coffee shops on every corner, outdoor restaurants that we'll never even get to them all. I sat with a couple from DC this morning who had lived here for four years, and they gave me a list of restaurants and day trips that I can't WAIT to try.

Our apartment is centrally located to everything-- so far I've set out on walking trips to explore the mile radius around our complex. The park across the street has bunnies, and I've already found my favorite coffee shop (there are squirrels on the cups!)



I was excited for Michael to show me the places he'd already explored and found, (seeing that he's been here for two weeks already!)





This is the opera house down the street from our apartment, named the "Best in the World" last year!! 


My first meal-- It was amazing. I wonder how long it will take before I tire of meat and potatoes? Probably never.


Today I accomplished stress-free food shopping (a friend had prepped me for the experience--- bring your own bag, bag your groceries yourself and do it all quickly.) I watched others checking out first so I wouldn't screw it up and I was successful.

Danielle-- I'm so glad I bought this bag from you! It was the perfect market satchel :)


I also had high ambitions of eating lunch in a park that's about a mile away, but after walking about a block I changed my mind and found coffee instead. The temperature dropped today (it'll be 35 degrees tonight!!) and it was starting to drizzle. Heck no-- hot dopio espresso macchiatto instead in the comfort of a warm cafe. 

The movers will be here soon and I will get to work making our apartment feel like 'home,' because right now it feels like a hotel (thus, causing us to dump our stuff everywhere as we would a hotel room.) I'll post pictures when it's put together. 

That's all for now-- going to practice my German with Rosetta Stone and apply for a sub position at the international school. Busy day over here :) 








1 comment:

Stacy said...

Rachel, I'm so excited for you! Frankfurt looks amazing!