Sunday, May 19, 2013

A semi-retired life...

I'm thankful to have had a week and a half for a lot of this...



this as well...


Not many words at the moment, other than bringing up that I'm profoundly grateful for the sweet time with family and friends before this transition. I'm thankful that Mike gave the 'okay' to quit work a little early to prepare our home for this move, and to enjoy Florida for a brief moment in time. 

We rarely have opportunities to take a break from life, to return to our roots and allow ourselves to be pampered by our parents. For me, it was a retrospective jaunt through the town and memories that have woven themselves into who I am. A quick drive through the neighborhood I grew up in... favorite restaurants revisited, parks and beaches to explore like I did what seems like an eternity ago.

Beautiful moments with the fam, celebrating our intrinsic love of classical music and expressing ourselves through a grand concert (way to go, Mom!) 

(Ready for our date at the King Center) 

I spent as much time as possible outside, soaking up the pleasant Florida weather that I'm sure we'll miss...



(I'm obsessed with kayaking. Seriously.) 


I savored every moment, storing the pure bliss of being together and laughing over stupid things that only a connected family would understand. 
Michael and Annie-- you were missed! But I needed this time for me, to recharge and prepare myself mentally and emotionally for the next couple of years. 






Parting with this guy, finding... well... the strength and courage to let go and quit worrying. 
Not trying to sound corny, but to be honest, it was tough. He's going to have the most amazing time on his sabbatical and I'm grateful for Annie being willing to sacrifice to host him. 
(The night before I left he slept right next to me lengthwise. Bahhhh so many tears.....)

"See you later"s are tough, to understate the obvious. But that's where hope takes over-- I'll be seeing everyone soon, whether over the pond or here at home. Technology is incredible and I can talk without ease every day, if ya'll even want to talk that much! And what lies ahead far outweighs the pain of a brief physical separation of what it comfortable.


Leaving American soil tomorrow-- 
Auf Wiedersehen for now! 



No comments: