Monday, May 6, 2013

expectations

I absolutely LOATHE packing. This is my worst nightmare. (Actually, my worst nightmare is a bike or mattress falling off someone's car in front of me during a rainstorm and I slam on the brakes, unable to control the car as I careen into oncoming traffic. But I digress.)

I'm attempting to wrap my mind around packing for Melbourne for a week, then for Germany in a different suitcase until our boxes are shipped. Add in Mike's suitcases, plus divvying up kitchen and bathroom items that cannot be shipped because they are open containers.

Then throw in "These items go to storage. These will be shipped. These to Mom & Dad's. And these to Goodwill" and you've got yourself one overwhelmed puppy who needs a break to eat Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, Bagel Bites, and blog on the porch. And yes, I'm in a "What if I can't eat these things in Germany?!" stage, which is silly because I haven't craved either of these items since college.

Again, I digress.

The real reason for this warranted break is to document my expectations, or maybe not expectations, but rather my understanding of how this next year could possibly be. I'm pretty sure that when I read back over this posting in a year, it will have been nothing like I could have imagined, the good and the bad. Here it goes... an interview with myself:


Challenges?
      Part of me fears a communication barrier, although I'm going in with the assumption that most people will have a basic understanding of English. I mentioned this to someone who lived most of her life in Germany; she laughed when I said this and pretty much shut me down. We'll see.
      I fear being lonely, as a year is not a ton of time to make friends. Or not finding a church to plug into. I know these are lies and that God will provide, but it's still unsettling.
      I'm hesitant about our tight living quarters-- I don't think it will be a problem and could actually be nice to work with less, but I really don't know what to expect.


What will you crave that you assume you won't be able to obtain?
      Good pizza and Mexican food. This is probably hogwash because I'm moving to a big city with multiple cultures represented; I'm sure I'll find an excellent representative.


How do you see yourself spending your time? 
      I've always pictured myself working at a coffee or bookstore, but then again the language barrier is a wee problem. I'd love to blog or work in some type of position that involves writing, but who knows what would be available? My latest endeavor was applying as a substitute at the American school. That could pan out; then I could choose when to work if I had visitors in town. But does it even work the same way as it does here? And do I want to take on a teaching position?



Who knows. I should get back to packing and cleaning and whatever the heck else needs to be done.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you. I faced sort of those same feelings when I moved from Pt Orchard to St Louis. not another continent but another weather experience, knowing no one and dealing with a husband who was in sales who traveled. we were only there a year and a half but I made friends and discovered new food and called pop soda instead if pop. I also joined a wonderful singing group that I loved. I'm glad I wasn't there forever but it was ok. I even had a few visitors like your mom.

I want you to enjoy the beautiful fabrics that are there. They should be beautiful and since you like to sew by hand and are so creative you'll find yourself filled with temptations. it's also possible you could find a local quilting guild which usually has people of all ages interested in quilting.

I'm looking forward to your blogs and sharing the discoveries with you. Also with our social media you are just a FaceTime away.

I love you my sweet niece. Enjoy the time, it will go by fast.

Aunt Kathie