Sunday, May 26, 2013

All in a few days

Slowly acclimatizing to a life abroad. Sleeping lots, perhaps a combination of chilly, rainy weather, consumption of mass quantities of meat and potatoes, and walking more than I have in my entire life. 

What a lovely honeymoon phase its been (despite the weather, of course!) We've found ourselves trying out different restaurants and bars in search of the perfect meal, and oh, there are tons of contenders. We met up with an English speaking group for Friday drinks, ending up at an 'electronic swing' techno-type club (not quite our style,) but rolling with it anyways. 

Here's a list of things about Frankfurt that make me smile:

--Food. Duh. (I apologize for most of my pictures being of food, I can't help myself. I just want you all to share in my joy over a work of art that I have the opportunity to consume.)



--The amount of green space in this city. And the fact that there are bunnies in the parks instead of squirrels. (cue squeals of delight, obnoxious pointing and exclamations of, "OH! Look at that bunny hopping! He's soooo cuuuuttttteee!")

(I counted 12 in one spot! Those gray blobs are bunnies. Mike wouldn't let me stop to take the picture.)

--Beers, Bars, and Brats. 'Nuff said.

--Attempting our first dinner in the apartment. I scrapped the chicken noodle soup I had high hopes for because I couldn't find chicken broth. Or evaporated milk. And chicken is really expensive. So I bought what I believed to be discounted chicken... (looks like chicken?)
Turns out "putin-brutschnitzel" is turkey breast. We had no idea until someone we met up with later told us so. No wonder it was so cheap...




--There are all kinds of events going on at all times. This weekend was the "Skyscraper Festival," which included all my favorites-- giant machinery exhibitions, bagpipe bands, sausages on a giant, rotating spit, along with people bungee and ziplining off buildings, motorcycles on high tightropes and lots of excellent people-watching opportunities. 

Oh, let's just stick a child in a bucket and push him down a roller slide...

You could get in line to control the digger thing. I didn't want to wait with all the 6 year olds...


Do you see the motorcyclists up in the air?! Look by the white tents in the middle of the picture... 


Perfect ending to a great day-- fireworks-viewing from our balcony. 







No comments: