Monday, November 1, 2010

a REAL Halloween

Growing up there weren't too many trick-or-treaters. You'd see a couple other kids wandering the streets, but not a whole lot. Granny always took us to the mall, where we'd loop the entire thing and get candy from every store. My Halloween days pretty much ended in 8th grade when I wore my volleyball uniform and lamely perused the neighborhood. 

In college, I didn't take advantage of the holiday by using it as an excuse to parade in my panties. (Although we did throw one 'dress like your favorite drink' party....) 

Last year I celebrated with a FL/GA win, thus not making it home in time to pass out candy.

Finally, 2010-- the Halloween of all Halloweens!!

Thank you, Mrs. Suey, for giving me your hand-made square dancing dresses before you passed away. You will always be in my heart as the nice old lady who lived down the street and whose house smelled like mothballs.

Construction dog? (Borrowed it last-minute from a neighbor....)

Why sit alone in your house and wait for trick-or-treaters when you can combine forces and knock 5 houses out in one trip! Genius.

I <3 my pretend children who bring me joy every day with their squeals of laughter, ridiculous stories from school, and knocks on the door accompanied by, "Can Mike come out and play?"

This is what Halloween should be like. Neighbors coming together for potlucks and drinks while the kids run around the street. Good times. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a REAL Halloween!