Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Backyard Adventures

This morning I was reading a blog post by Melina over at www.thewildercoast.com and I found myself slightly whiney.

I want to be able to go climbing on a whim.
Or backpacking.
Or just nature in general.

The kind of outdoors I yearn for is not easy to come by, requiring hours of driving and taking days off from work. 
But nevertheless, I've also come to terms with this fact and make do with the beauty that is Florida. 






Instead of complaining, I need to grab Florida by the horns and give it all I've got because soon, we're leaving. I know part of me is going to miss the massive oak trees with spanish moss dripping from branches, or the way woods meet water and Diego goes crazy with the opportunity to swim. And one day, I might reside in a city and find myself dying for a quick, warm jaunt on a short trail through the scrub pines towards the ocean, like we do at Guana River park.


And I can't even begin to come to terms with leaving this guy behind, even if only for a couple years. But I'm not even going to let my heart go there yet.

Living for today which has brought productivity, new veggie plants purchased for tomorrow's sowing, a brief but lovely jaunt in the woods and now happy hour with other grownups in Jacksonville.

Mini-adventures await; where will you find yours?

No comments: