Wednesday, May 30, 2012

To my dear teacher friends,

I've spent a lot of this year in griping-mode, and for that I'm genuinely sorry. How much time spent complaining to my sweet teacher friends could have instead been filled with joyful conversations, or words of encouragement? Why haven't I been able to be the 'better person' and not even bring up reasons to complain in the first time, knowing it will snowball into the same exchange of words meant to invoke hopelessness and pit us against each other? Needless to say, I've grown a lot this year. I'm on the verge of making a life change, whatever the heck that entails. Even if it's a small life-change, as simple as refusing to let situations out of my control hinder my ability to  find joy.

To my dear teacher friends, even as I sit here typing I keep erasing and rewriting the words that I truly want to say to you all but can't quite get it right. You all mean the world to me-- in a year that was full of dark, life-sucking moments, we still somehow found a way to  latch on to snippets of joy and run with it. Lunch room conversations, those stolen moments of laughter in between the halls of 'You want to hear what was just said to me?!' celebrations of new life and weddings and job promotions, shining moments of "That lesson ROCKED! You have to try this!" or "Holy cow that was a flop--- quick, how can I fix it next period?" And, although rare, seeing each other outside of school and just being ourselves-- so worth the memories made.

It's been a complete and utter blessing to start off my teaching career surrounded by such phenomenal individuals. I'm inspired daily by your creativity and willingness to serve your students in such unique ways, and especially your openness to share what works in your classrooms.

Wherever life leads each one of us, I'll choose to look back on this year with fondness simply because (for the most part!) we chose to seek happiness and laughter instead of flushing our souls down the toilet I love you all dearly!

No comments: