Thursday, October 2, 2014

you sound like you're from london

I have been itching for a chance to sit down and write, write, write out the swirling emotions and experiences that have all at once settled into our lives.

I live in London. Are you freaking kidding me?! If you are in any way close to me then you'll know that never in a million billion years would I have ever imagined myself to say "Yes!" to a massive, sprawling metropolis filled with fashionable city people. In fact, I wrote on our high school's time capsule that in ten year's time, I'd be living on a farm in the middle of nowhere. (Married to a doctor and with multiple kids, nonetheless, but I digress.) London? 

But seriously, the sense of peace I feel is all-encompassing, soul-quenching, completely right. We are meant to be in this city, for whatever reason that may be. I am excited, daunted, and quite honestly, a bit overwhelmed at the moment. We are delighted to be back in an english-speaking country-- life is so much easier!-- but it'll take a while to not feel like an outsider. Little things, like what the heck is a 'banger?' Which coins are which, when the sizes are all crazy? Remembering to look to the right instead of the left when crossing the road could be the difference between life and death. (I do mean the right, right? Now I'm all confused.) And when you are walking on the sidewalk, our natural inclination is to pass someone to their right, like the traffic flow; we're finding ourselves doing this and throwing off all kinds of people! (Mike almost had a head-on collision with a man in an electric wheel chair the other day...)

First world problems, right? 

Keeping our fingers crossed for the landlords of our dream apartment to accept our offer. Lots of green space, by a park in a lovely neighborhood. Need to find a job. A church. Some friends would be nice as well :)

Come visit!
 





No comments: