Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Rachel's Day Out

Last week had some rough moments. Found myself home quite a bit, applying for jobs and settling in to this new place. Prone to fits of loneliness and desperate attempts of catching anyone for Facetime just to have human interaction. 

Had the most wonderful weekend with Michael as we explored the Camden markets, walking along the canal and through Hyde park, eventually making our way to Picadilly and the crashing on the couch. Pictures to come soon; forgot to bring the adapter for the camera so have no way of putting them on the computer.. boooo.

As for this week, I've made the decision to stop being a mopey loser and find a balance between applying for jobs and getting out of the house. Life's all about balance, right? I realized that I now have access to a multitude of museums, so if anything, I should be exploring them little by little. Then, after an hour or so, I can pop into a cafe and work on jobsjobsjobs. 

Here's how to have a perfect, Rachel kind of day:



Start in the National Art Gallery and swoon over the Monet exhibit. 

What a doofus, taking pictures with a bobo iphone. But, be still my heart!


 I know, pictures of beautiful, life-changing pictures are dumb and what Asian tourists do. BUT I couldn't help myself. This Seurat painting blew my mind with how big it was.. and who doesn't love a bit of Van Gogh to brighten up your day?!



After peeling myself away from the Impressionists I thought I'd pop into the church across from the gallery, St. Martin-in-the-Fields. When I entered I was given a program and had apparently stepped into a free piano concert that was starting in 5 minutes. Um, yes PLEASE. 24 year old genius pianist serenading my heart with Beethoven and Liszt? Did Jesus plan this day out just for me?





Meh, I have the time, might as well walk the three miles home. (Actually I had no money and my Oyster card was empty.)
Oh hey, Oscar Wilde. You're looking quite... erm... attractive this afternoon...



I walked along the river Thames to reach home, taking random pictures and stopping where the tide was out.








And I found the coolest items while looking for 'treasure...'


Apparently you can find broken bits of all sorts of stuff; a woman on the shore said these pieces were from the Victorian and even Medieval era (?!) How amazing is that? Thousands of years of history churned through and spit up onto the shore... I'm thinking I'll save all the pieces and mosaic them one day.




Back to the grindstone of applications :D



No comments: