Wednesday, October 2, 2013

28 Reasons for Joy- The Birthday Edition

Celebrating birthdays in a foreign country can be a daunting prospect, especially for one who so very much loves her own birthday. There's something about counting on being made to feel special for that one day a year, knowing it's all about you and it's okay to be demanding because it's the one day you can get away with it!

I woke up yesterday morning to gray, chilly skies, but a warm, snuggly Michael. It was starting off brilliantly. About 10 am, creeping feelings of loneliness and thoughts of, "You're all alone + your friends and family are across the globe = you are insignificant." So I decided to pursue all of my favorites, be it songs, foods, and people, because October first is a celebration of my life! It was a freeing feeling, choosing to only do the things that bring about joy to stave off the lies that try to force me to feel anything less than who I was created to be.


28 things that made me happy on my 28th birthday:

1. Waking up to this guy



2. Deciding to make a list of happy things in my favorite list book from my favorite Kristin Auman




3. Wearing my ratty, comfortable Toms




4. Saying, "Screw you, Paleo," and eating the Best. Breakfast sandwich. EVERRRR **Note-- a number of my favorite things might involve food**




5. Catching up on blogs over coffee


6. Blasting Justin Timberlake and dancing around the house. Not cliche at all...


7. Eating American junkfood periodically throughout the day (I had to hide this Reeses from Michael in a safe spot so I could have it on my birthday)




8. Shamelessly checking FB every 15 minutes to see who else wished me a happy day (I LOVE it and always have!!!)


9. Painting my nails (Mom-- "It looks like your nails are moldy. Didn't you have that color in the 7th grade?")

My hand looks like it belongs to a vampire.


10. Wearing stripes. I love stripes.


11. About noon the sun came out just for me! It was a beautiful, chilly day!



12. Skyping with mom & dad and discussing Mom's trip out to see me for Thanksgiving/Christmas market-time (!!!)



13. NOT doing laundry or unpacking from the weekend.



14. Looking over pictures from said weekend. Epic.



15. Mike came home and lunchtime toting a bag with a jacket I've been coveting for a couple months! Swoon (Never mind that it was about this time we realized my bike got stolen over the weekend. Lame.)


15. Meeting Martha & Sophie for the best coffee in Frankfurt (Wacker's!)



16. Gifts from my sweet friends... they know me so well already!


PS-- the people pictured are not my friends. They are not even real. But my friends made me take this picture with them and I thought this was an appropriate place to put it. 



17. Realizing how blessed I am to have made instant connections with amazing ladies here who have (and will continue!) carried me through this adventure --> Love you, Hausfraus :)


18. Conversations about our engagement stories make my heart swell.


19. Connecting with my besties and knowing that we will be a part of each others' lives forever



20. Found the perfect boots!



21. Ate a ginormous cinnamon roll



22. Wore my favorite red peacoat and my sparkly new year's party shirt to dinner

23. Received a hug and a bottle of wine from the lady in the hotel's office

24. Calls from Momma Chex, Leanna, and Bryan

25. Annie's card arrived just on time!

26. Took a detour through the park to crunch through the leaves

27. Mexican!



28. Had a discussion with Mike as to what kind of scarf he would like me to knit him... and was granted extra bedtime snuggles





Maybe we should treat every day as if it were our birthdays, seeking the little things that bring about joy and choosing only to love and be happy. Although for me, that would mean that no chores get done, ever, and I eat chocolate all the time.

(PS--  ultimately, I believe with all my heart that joy and freedom comes from living a life in pursuit of Christ-- true happiness cannot simply be achieved by eating a Reeses Peanut Butter cup and jamming out to Justin Timberlake. But, it will provide at least temporary joy.) 

Choose to love today. And much love to you who shared in my birthday joy. It meant the world to me!




No comments: