Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Week of Cemeteries

Not much for words today-- stir crazy and needing to get out of the apartment. But, I have been meaning to add pictures from last week's HausFrau adventures so here they are, most likely without much commentary. 

Martha and I explored an old Jewish cemetery that was ravished by German soldiers during the Nazi regime. They intended to completely destroy the headstones but the project was thwarted when bombing of Frankfurt began 8 days into it. What's left is about 1/3 of the original amount. It was a mesmerizing, hauntingly beautiful place. 







Afterwards we desperately needed eiskaffee... then randomly decided to visit a cathedral and walk the billion steps up to the top.










A couple days later I was feeling especially melancholy and a little homesick, so naturally, I decided to check out a different cemetery. Great pick-me-up, huh?

But actually, it was even more beautiful and serene than I could have imagined. 
Walkways dense with trees and growth, paths that could be explored for hours. 











Scatter my ashes here, please. Then stick some monumental angel on top of it so others can enjoy photographing it hundreds of years later. 

No comments: