Friday, July 19, 2013

2 Month Checkup

We've been happily living as expats for two months now, so I thought it appropriate to documents my thoughts on what I'm thinking is still the 'honeymoon' phase. The weather's lovely and summer is in full swing here in Frankfurt, complete with festivals, bike rides, and picnics galore. I'm glad we moved when we did so that I could have ample time to fall in love with this city, this culture  (which I have.)

What I'm loving right now: 

--Staying out late on the weekdays-- joining the rest of the city in the mass migration towards parks/river banks to partake in picnics and drink bottles of cheap wine.

 Going to the grocery store hungry = purchase of too much junk food



--Drinking my normal afternoon iced coffee with a not-so-normal bonus lump of vanilla ice cream

--the friends we've made; our willingness to try new things, to be able to text each other and be meeting up within 30 minutes because our schedules are just. that. open.

We dubbed ourselves the "HausFraus" (house wives) this week. I think we'll keep it. 

-Planning for upcoming travel adventures with Annie & Mike's parents

-GERMAN FOOD! It's 10:15 and my mouth is watering for some schnitzel. Actually, today is Friday, which means I'll meet Mike for lunch at the Friday market for the best bratwurst and potato salad we've found thus far.


Different Routines:

-- We stay up WAAAAY late now, at least till midnight (gasp!) At 'home' we were in bed by nine, and it was really hard for us to gather up energy to do anything on week days. Not anymore.

-Trivia night! I'm loving our new Monday night event, even if I can only contribute two answers in four rounds

-- Traveling on weekends-- No weekend will be left behind. Each is carefully planned out with places in need of exploring

--Meeting Mike for lunch during the week


I totally miss: 

--My teacher friends

--Parentals

--The beach... and St. Augustine summers in general

-- Diego (!!!)

--Spicy food... particularly of the Mexican variety (food just isn't spicy here...)


I didn't quite know what to expect when moving here, but so far, it's quite lovely. 

My goals for this next month are to hunker down and learn more German, make it to the beach, and maybe (maybe?) exercise some more.

:)


No comments: