Thursday, July 18, 2013

We Found a Castle (a.k.a. Awkward Picture Day)

Sunday began pleasantly enough. We boarded the U-Bahn with our bikes, and headed out to Kronberg, a sleepy town without much to do (especially because Sunday, everything is closed.) We found a country music block party (more line dancers!) and some cute German buildings. 



Then we started riding uphill. And more uphill. And then I had a meltdown from riding uphill which included a few choice words and a slight tantrum...

But then we stopped here so I could get over my pouting. 

(Mike was gracious enough to walk his bike with me without complaint up the rest of the incline, 
a gesture I found quite endearing.) 


We finally reached Konigstein and parked our bikes.The day was saved!




We lost ourselves for the next couple of hours exploring the ruins of a long-forgotten castle... its surprisingly chilly cellars, stairs leading to nowhere, and massive tower with an expansive view of the city. It was quiet, and we could check out wherever we wanted. 





Mike scaled some walls (we need to take this boy climbing for real...) 





Climbed up a ton of stairs for a view over the town and clear to Frankfurt. It was lovely.



And now for the "Awkward Family Photos" portion of this post: 


Michael misses the 'let's take jumping pictures' memo--



 ...and then he ends up with pterodactyl hands


We're in a cave. It's cold. And we can't see a dang thing until the camera lights up. 



This would have been a nice picture. Except I look like I'm on the toilet. 


Michael is cleaning off my bag after hocked a loogie on it.
"I thought it was a rock! It was camouflaged!" 


Michael wants to start a blog that features pictures of people taking pictures with iPads. 
He finds it hilarious. 

As you can see, I'm really excited to be here. 




More adventures to come this weekend!

No comments: