Thursday, June 7, 2012

The end.

The most challenging year for teachers has come to a close-
Two months to recharge, for there'd be no way we could do what we do
without a summer's respite. 
We spend the year pouring our souls into students 
guiding them like lighthouses into adulthood
pointing them in the right direction
sometimes being a mother
or a coach
or an advocate
or just someone to listen 
They might not appreciate us now
but hopefully will one day remember us with fondness
as "That teacher who actually cared about me." 
or "That class I actually enjoyed because she made it meaningful." 

Rules change as education revolves around
scores and data and making progress,
rather than growing the child as a whole. 
It's easy to lose heart and give up.
(I'm pretty sure I've given up once or twice already...)
But sweet friends at school were always there to listen
when there were tears of frustration
or potty-mouth words
and of course, moments filled with joy 

I pray that this summer we would find the courage
to start over next year, to forget about this one and 
remember it only with fondness
the year that we built relationships with each other,
the year we truly connected with our students ,
the year we laughed until we cried at lunch,
the year we had Friday dance parties because we made it another week.

I know my life has changed for the better-
I've grown closer to God than I've been in a long time,
for when life gets challenging, I draw nearer to Him. 

Enjoy your summer, dear friends.
Milk it for all it's worth--
fill it with readingsleepingchildrenbeachpuppiestraveling
I'll be on the porch reading all summer, so you know where to find me
and as my momma says,
I'll see ya'll in the funny papers 




No comments: