Thursday, October 6, 2011

deep breath

So thankful to have a back porch and comfortable patio furniture.

I think all of us teachers are finding some way to recharge tonight. Ashley just texted pictures of beautiful art she's currently working on, Catie is enjoying a cold one on her porch while grading, and I was able to spend some time in the Word. 

Recently our days have been chock full of stressworryfatiguenegativityemotionaldrainage, so it's much appreciated when these peaceful moments creep into the daily routine to whisper sweet words of encouragement and love. For Ashley in the form of art, and *hopefully* for me in the near future, in the form of music. 

I'm dying for a piano. 
The urge to play has been quietly waiting in my heart for a while now. 

Anyways, while napping on the couch listening to the rain, a gently nudge prompted me to grab my bible and head outside. Unsure of where to turn to, the book of James popped into my head. (I am totally not able to conjure up scripture or know where to turn to when particular scripture is needed; all I know is that I loved that book in high school. I wish I could be like, "Oh, you're going through this?  then you should turn here. lol earn myself some bonus Jesus points if I could do that!!) 

And whatdoyaknow... it's exactly what I needed to hear. (Isn't it funny that all I have to do is ask?) 

Here are some goodies. And I tend to switch from the Message to NIV, depending on which one sounds more lovely....

Faith Under Pressure (from James 1, NIV) 
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 

...(12, the message) 
Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. 

(Is this not indicative of pretty much all of us at our jobs?! My actions don't always show I'm 'loyally in love with God...') 


(v. 10, NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. For man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. 

(This needs to be a daily reminder. I am not quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. In fact, I'm often the opposite of these things. Note to self; work on this.) 

ch 4:
What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. 

Crap. Convicted. 

And finally vs. 13:
Are you hurting? Pray. Do you feel great? Sing. 

Nice.

and finally, in lieu of something awful that happened with one of my Wyldlife-now-in-highschool-girls...

vs. 19--
My dear friends, if you know people who have wandered off from God's truth, don't write the off. Go after them. Get them back and you will have rescued precious lives from destruction and prevented an epidemic of wandering away from God. 


WHEW! I swear. I need to read this Good Book every chance I get. 



Where's Bandit? I have a feeling he is within the vicinity... 



No comments: