Tuesday, January 18, 2011

OM

In elementary and middle school student I participated in Odyssey of the Mind for a number of years. We put our reputations on the line as we created our skits, sang songs, sewed costumes, all for the chance of making it to 'State' and even 'World' competitions. And you know what? Who cares if we were made fun of and there's now embarrassing footage of me dressed up as a flower or Cleopatra or whatever. It was worth it!

When the opportunity arose to create an OM team for our school, I just couldn't say no. Despite the long hours after school with hyper adolescents and weekend meetings teaching them how to use a sewing machine and hammer, the junk taking over your garage...... it's worth it, too. In our ridiculous world of iphones and youtube, data and standardized testing, creativity tends to get the boot. I'm glad there's a place that these students can say, "I've finally found a place where there's other people that are crazy LIKE ME!"

And when our skit, set design, & costumes miraculously  come together in a month (gagging sounds) I'll sit back and breathe a sigh of relief as my kiddos shine up on stage.

No comments:

Blog Archive