Monday, July 12, 2010

my brain is going to explode.

Bloodshot eyeballs + a numb butt + exploding brain = attempt at planning a Europe trip in 3 days.

But that's how I roll; nice and last-minute.

It literally took me six hours today to determine the best way to get from Paris to rome in a reasonable amount of time, for a reasonable amount of money. First, I had to figure out if we wanted a Eurail pass; decided it wasn't worth it, since I'd have to overnight it, buy it for 5 countries in order to get to the countries we're visiting.

Then I pursued traveling on an overnight train from Paris to Rome; tried to buy the tickets in French, texted Kristin to translate for me, then nixed it because there were only tiny 6 person couchettes available. Andddd for a little extra to fly, not really worth losing a night's worth of sleep.

Soooo then I decided on finding a cheap flight, but what was one 17 euro turned into a ridiculous amount. By now I'm practically in tears from frustration. I called my mom for guidance-- no answer. I emailed Amy-- no answer. I called my father-in-law, and he was able to help ("You'll probably never go to Europe again-- who cares about a hundred bucks??")

So flight it was. BUT when I tried to book it, I went through the whole process--- the website 'locked me out.' Which ended up being a God-thing because I then noticed that the airport I was choosing to fly out of was an hour out of Paris, by bus.

Finally ended up with a reasonable flight out of Paris-Orly that puts us in Rome at 11:30am, giving us more time there.

If you happen to be reading this and have been to Rome, Venice, or anywhere in Germany, or you've just backpacked Europe in general, PLEASE give me suggestions/helpful hints/ favorite places! I could totally use all the help I can get!


This is what my brain feels like by now.



I've taken over the kitchen table... and broken into the "Fat Tire" that was brought back from Asheville. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, too late now, but I have backpacked through Europe and visited Germany, Venice and Rome.

Venice I did in two days, and got my camera pick-pocketed there.

Rome, I really wasn't in the mood for so I ran around in an afternoon and checked off the "big things to see"

I always figured I'd go back to Italy someday...

Germany I absolutely love. It has the nicest people in the world, especially in Berlin. The history is so rich too, I recommend a walking tour.

Of course if you're further south in Munich, then I would do a "Mike's Bikes" tour that finishes at the Hoffbrahous - a definite most stop!