Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I made it...

...through my first open house! I was really nervous leading up to it, especially in the moments before they entered my room. But somehow I made it through the whole thing in one piece. In fact, it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be at all. I was afraid of seeming incompetent, too young... I don't even know what else. I feared running out of things to say, that I would be standing up there twiddling my thumbs and having to ask for the dreaded 'questions' that the seasoned teachers said not to ask for because they'll put you on the spot. So I talked a lot, and they enjoyed it (I guess.) Like I said, wasn't that bad at all. 

I feel that they're starting to come around this week. I feel like we're finding common ground, and that it's clicking (honestly for the both of us.) I'm starting to identify myself as a 'teacher' in the sense that classes are starting to flow and I'm feeling confident about everything going on. The students are beginning to take part in the class and get into routine, which is nice and easier for all of us to get things done. We've been covering grammar stuff which tends to get a bit dry, but they're taking it in well. I have to think about how I can teach 'subject' and 'verbs' because apparently they don't remember or never learned how to do it. Hello. If I wanted to be an elementary teacher then I would have gotten my degree in that. Oh well. 

Life is good! Let's make it over the hump day... then I get to go camping this weekend. 

1 comment:

Dad said...

May the God of hope fill you with
all joy and peace as you trust in
him, so that you may overflow with
hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Rom.15:13

Whatever your filled with will overflow when bumped!

I love you, and I can't wait to see your classroom and kids. Dad