Monday, September 8, 2008

Beginning of week three

Apparently I made it through the second week. There were moments where I started feeling like a real teacher, but those were fleeting and it was back to drowning. I'm tired. I'm super tired. We don't have a planning period, so it's six straight classes. After school we have one hour to 'plan,' but we're required to attend all kinds of meetings so we end up being stuck at school until 6. Then more planning at home (I just finished at 10.) I'm not complaining, but I definitely am somewhat drained. 

I'm feeling kind of alone lately. The other teachers are incredible and have been so helpful, but it's getting to the point where I need to figure out stuff on my own. Last night I was super anxious about going to school today, mostly because I didn't feel prepared, but also because I'm thinking about what I'll do in all the situations that are going to arise. Like parent conferences. And phone calls. And when am I going to get my school laptop? How can I ensure that I'm grading their papers fairly? And what about the hyperactive crazy kids that need the most attention? How can I give them the support they deserve when I have a big class (and I'm exhausted?) I don't know how these things are supposed to happen yet. 

I had a kid up until this afternoon with tourettes, autism, OCD and epilepsy. He was a trip... what a sweet kid. But my only issue with him was his flatulence. Every day without failing he would rip a huge fart. How am I supposed to deal with this as a teacher? It took everything I had today not to laugh. Because farting is funny, normally. But not in a classroom :)

I'm going to bed. We're teaching 'genre' this week.... so hopefully these kids will be able to tell me about fiction and nonfiction this week. 

No comments: