Monday, June 17, 2013

Hallo, Heidelberg!

Day trips from Frankfurt-- Heidelberg Edition


Heidelberg is a quaint town boasting an impressive  castle, which is partly in ruins (but has a few functioning rooms.) I'm looking forward to returning for an opera in July; the outdoor stage is nestled between two crumbling facades, the perfect setting!

At the end of the day we explored the castle...








Took this picture because I loved his expression- then realized later that it seems like he's flipping me the bird?


We thoroughly enjoyed riding the funicular to the castle (and saying 'funicular' as many times as I could because it's a fun, rarely used word!) You could also ride it to a higher viewpoint, which after some debate decided to go for it.




And it was well-worth the view!
"Konigstuhl" (King's Stool)

Prior to the castle, we meandered through the town. It was strange to be surrounded by so many tourists (particularly American ones) since Frankfurt is not really a tourist destination. I guess Heidelberg is an easy stop when people are traveling on bus tours through Germany... but we still enjoyed the busy-ness of the streets and our favorite pass time of people-watching.

Heidelberg is a beautiful place to visit; I can't wait to return with Annie for some hiking, then again in the fall with my parents when the trees are multicolored.









My attempt at being artsy-fartsy... inspired to start learning how to use the camera properly!

It was a lovely weekend.

Now I'm home, sick in bed and trying to recoup so I can go enjoy the "America Festival" that is raging in one of the main squares. It promises "real country music" and cow-wrangling. I can't wait. 

No comments: