Wednesday, December 8, 2010

no worries

Only good things to speak of tonight! Full of smiles as I sit here wrapped in a homemade quilt, sifting through endless sites on "A Christmas Carol" which I am starting tomorrow. I'm looking forward to working on it with the kiddos, but also am feeling slightly overwhelmed at the enormity of its theme. I feel like the story is an awesome opportunity to impart fantastic life lessons that will alter their very existences! Okay, maybe not, but it does share an important message that we are quick to overlook once the holidays approach. 

I feel like Britney on Glee when she loses her holiday spirit... like Cindy Lou Who when she sings, "Where Are you Christmas? I cannot find you!" I've been consumed with thinking about the perfect gifts, experiencing the right amount of holiday cheer and making my house look Christmas-worthy. But I can't help thinking about how much money is spent during the holidays on large quantities of gifts for people, most who don't need a single thing in the world. When I find myself grumbling that the heater's not kicking in soon enough in the old truck, my mind wanders to the homeless who are spending the nights outside. And my heart hurts because I feel like I'm not doing anything to acknowledge these injustices. Nothing's wrong with dropping x amount of money on a light-up penguin for the front yard, but donating to a toy drive will make me think twice. 

Let's face it; I'm a Grinch in need of a Savior. Thank God for grace. 


On a lighter note, last night I attended a redneck Christmas party:

Other good things? 
When I went to watch last night's "Glee" episode, I realized I forgot to watch last week's, too! Double whammy!
Our annual Christmas wreath from Antigen & Horace was waiting on the doorstep!
I got to talk to Annie twice today!
I ate my favorite dinner (pasta, olive oil, steak seasoning) 
and now i'm doing nothing but sitting on the couch.




No comments: