Monday, September 2, 2013

sad goodbyes

In my absence, Frankfurt's changed.

Autumn's just around the corner; you can feel it in the slight breeze, the light that's dimmed a bit, and most of all, the smell. My favorite. I always relished the way the air smells different in Florida, where finally we can hope for a reprieve from the oppressive heat, and football season greets us once again.

This will be my first year of seasons. Fall no longer means Gator games and attempts with friends to make something of the somewhat nonexistent season.

But instead of joy at what's to come, I'm homesick. Missing college football, the new school year and everyone. It's come about because this morning we said goodbye to Momma & Papa Chex after a glorious week of roadtripping through Europe. My heart ached as we hugged, not knowing when we'd see each other again. And this is all after spending two amazing weeks with Annie, in which I didn't have time to feel sad because as soon as she left, Mike and I hopped in the car to greet the parentals.

Now it's hit like a ton of bricks, and I've morosely trudged through this day with a lump in my throat and tears threatening to make an appearance the more I dwell on it. Missing home is a natural part of life. And I do love it here, our adventures and experiences. But today it hurts that I wasn't hopping on the plane to head 'home.' Or that who knows when I'll see my seester & parents again.

Now that I've had a good feeling-sorry-for-myself day, I'll greet tomorrow morning with a fresh face. There are letters and packages to mail, pictures to go through and an incredible three weeks of traveling to process, picnics to be had and the last bits of summer to savor before greeting my favorite season of all.





In other news, when one is feeling sad, all one has to do is walk around Frankfurt until she stumbles upon a gaggle of pandas. 


No comments: