Friday, September 7, 2012

it was a good day

My heart is full from this day, so much so that I found myself moved to tears while soaking it all in. 

It started with my littles in the library... one of my major goals as an english teacher is to hook my reluctant readers on books. So when I look out at a library full of my kids, and they're all ACTUALLY reading?! I feel a certain sense of accomplishment.

Fast forward to the end of the day-- a sweet, timid girl who has the voice of a tiny baby bird and is so shy she can barely look you in the eyes lingered after class, sheepishly smiled at me and said, 
"Mrs. Checchia, why are you so happy all the time?"
It was the first time I'd ever seen her face lit up.
I laughed and told her that life was too precious to not be happy all the time... and I probably drink too much coffee (but I REALLY wanted to tell her that my joy is solely because of God's grace in my life but alas, not able to do so! :) Her comment meant so much... and solidified my purpose and reasoning for being back at our school, lovin' on my kiddos. 

And finally, an impromptu Gainesville trip to help my sister-in-law with the next phase of her life!
Cheers to new beginnings, tiny apartments and no source of income. 
Send some prayers her way for a job and a bit of direction :) 


I couldn't help but drive by the pink house on the way home, and as I did so a wave of nostalgia hit me full force as I thought about how it wasn't that long ago we were in college trying to figure out life. Well, I haven't quite figured it out yet, but I've found it's not as carefree as the Pink House days with its Justin Timberlake dance parties and roomie sleepovers... hanging out with Michael late into the night but sending him home because he wasn't allowed to sleep over... hurricane parties and living with sisters and walking down to the park to swing...
oh college life. I took you for granted. 


God provided a changing kaleidoscope of colors to entertain me on the drive home... windows down and Fleet Foxes blaring. 


Life is good today. 

No comments: