Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy 4th!

Hands down, 4th of July is my favorite holiday.

As I'm sitting on the porch pondering why it is the best, I'm having trouble putting it into words. It's the one time that everyone in America gets together with their closest friends and family with the sole purpose of having the greatest summer day, eating the yummiest of barbecue foods, and topping it all off with a fabulous fireworks display. Sure we can do this anytime we want, but something about doing it on the same day as the rest of America makes it special. Anyone can partake in the festivities, no matter how rich or poor or whatever you are.

All that matters it you're outside in a bathing suit for the majority of the day by some body of water eating until you feel like you're about to burst.

(This 4th was a little different for me as I spent the majority of the day driving back from Tampa, but I was okay with that since I'd spent the entire weekend in 4th of July mode at the beach/pool.)

And then the best part: going downtown to be with the community (and in St. Auggie, plenty of tourists) in preparation for the fireworks. Watching old-man bands play patriotic music in the park while sweet elderly couples dance and decked-out children chase each other. Securing a spot right next to the fort and laying on your back in anticipation.... the patriotic music starts blasting from some unknown location then all of the sudden THEY START! giggling at the collective 'oohs' and 'ahs' at the especially loud or bright explosions and the cries of 'those were the best fireworks EVER!' that I feel like I proclaim after every show.











love. 

1 comment:

AMYLE1GH said...

i heart your red dress