Tuesday, July 29, 2014

for Amy

I never had the chance to blog about our adventures with Amy & Paul, and she won't let me live it down until it's on the good ol' interwebs. Thank you for the weekly reminders, Ames. I did want it here for when I print this blog into a book to keep forever.
Ever since we were preadolescent teeny boppers we've dreamed about the cul-de-sac that we'd live on, intertwining our lives with each other as our kids run around causing mayhem and growing up as 'siblings.' There's certainly still time for that, but for now, we're enjoying the joys of 'adulthood' that include growing up and traveling together, especially when it includes our spouses. Pretty soon, Kelly and Jesse will be joining the realm of holy matrimony-- just think of what shenanigans we'll get into on future travels!

So, back to our trip. 
It was lovely to go through these pictures again, pulling out my favorites and reminiscing on what an amazing trip it was. Amy's the best at taking tons of pictures and making sure that people are in them, which I totally am not; I'm thankful for her insistence even if at the time I was not :) 
She also did most of the planning, which was nice for a change not to be in charge! 

We started in Munich, still my favorite city in Germany and one that I'm happy to return to again and again. Well, before that, we borrowed our friends' dirndl and lederhosen to hit up the Frankfurt spring fest in style, and so they could see just how much more fun you can have when you're in costume. 





My husband is one good-looking' German, no?


Lederhosen gives you super powers

I'd never been to Munich in the spring; it wasn't full of tourists like usual, and we had the chance to see different things. If you're ever there, I recommend renting a bike and cruising the entire city. We saw a lot of the Englischer gardens that I hadn't seen before, and of course, stopped in our favorite Chinese biergarten. 

Favs from Munich:

This picture cracks me up every time... Paul being ridiculous in front of the Michael Jackson memorial while Amy looks on tearfully (except she wasn't really crying, she 'had something in her eye.') 

BMW museum is pretty cool (and free!) plus adjacent to the Olympic park.



We also checked out Schloss Nymphenburg, which was pretty and had lovely gardens to explore.

photobombed 


A trip to Munich is not complete without time spent at the Hofbrau. And Schneider-Weiss, in my humble opinion. 



Back to Frankfurt for a couple nights, with of course the obligatory Rhine excursion to drink as much wine as possible and hike the vineyards. We missed the cool castle in St. Goar by 5 minutes, but the wine tasting in Bacharach made up for it. 





Thursday (Thursday? I can't remember) we were off to Bruges, another one of our favorites! Boat tour, a little bit of walking, delicious beer and ribs. Done and done.

Fidel is the coolest dog ever. 



2be-- Our favorite spot to people-watch in Bruges with a giant Troubador Trippel. Amy and Paul went off to explore, and we sat for hours. My kind of holiday. 



Can you spot the monkey?


Mike and I got up early to check out Ghent, which is 20 minutes away from Bruges. If you're reading this and considering doing the same, we highly recommend doing so. It's a really cool small town with a different feel than Bruges. And less American tourists, which is a win for everyone. 

This might be my favorite picture of all time?



From Bruges we took the train to Amsterdam where they were celebrating King's Day! Holy cow, you need to make it a point to visit on this holiday at some point in your life. It was a massive daytime celebration, where everyone sells their items in the streets, children set up booths to try to make some money, such gooooooood street food, and the boats fill up every inch of the canals with people of all ages partying. We sat and watched for hours!





My favorite- picnics in the park! This guy snuggled with me (or he wanted my sandwich.)




 Sunday we went to Keukenhof Gardens with the most beautiful flowers EVER. Amy wanted to take a picture of everyone, Paul had fun doing 'flyovers' with his camera.
I was a bit cranky until I had ice cream. 

I forgot to mention that Amy's wonderful friend Mirela came from Florence to visit Amy. She was the nicest person ever, and I hope to see her again one day!

Mike was just as excited as I was to be taking so many pictures





And finally, Monday we squeezed in a Mike's Bike Tour, a company I highly recommend! Take the countryside tour. You see windmills and cheese factories and lots of green. 





 Seriously a joy to spend time with my bestie on an epic adventure. So many memories and funny stories-- can't wait for more travels together, especially with our third musketeer!








No comments: