Friday, December 5, 2008

First formal evaluation!

I had my first eval a couple of weeks ago, and I finally got to talk to my principal this morning. It was truly an awesome experience and I am super thankful for my wonderful school. My lesson plan was borrowed from my mentor teacher: we read Helen Keller's autobiography then they attempted to sign into each others' hands to see how hard it would be to be blind and deaf. It was fun.... my principal was impressed. She had great things to say about the observation, and I'm not writing this to brag but so I will always remember this positive experience! She noted:

-how my response time was excellent (new teachers don't tend to wait long enough for students to respond because they feel awkward.) Good thing we specifically practiced waiting for forever in grad school
-how I was good at multitasking when people walked in the room to interrupt 
-loved how the students were engaged, worked together grading each others' papers, and 'popcorn' reading
-she suggested that I could develop 'higher order thinking' questioning skills to really get them to dig deep 

She also suggested that I should get middle-grades certified for job security. I was so encouraged by her words, especially when she told me she wants me around forever! What a blessing to be at this school around incredible mentors who are so nurturing. I am where I am supposed to be, and I praise God for his grace with my life decisions and His goodness in placing me in the perfect school. I love my job! AND I get to read middle school books all the time. What could be better?

No comments: