Thursday, August 21, 2008

The first day is coming...

I'd like to attempt to write about my first year as a teacher. I think it will help me to focus and think about what goes on in my classroom, and most importantly how I can improve on a consistent basis. First of all, let me share about my experience of getting the job in the first place.

I've been relocated to Jacksonville for a couple weeks now, and after many attempts of finding a job, I was unsuccessful. I finally got an interview and an offer, but it was with a scripted FCAT remedial program that I wasn't too keen on teaching. So, after an anxious day of wrestling with myself and some wonderful conversations with other teachers, I decided to decline the position and give it up to the Lord. It was a tough call because of the stress of finding a job in Florida this year, but I felt that God had something out there for me. 

A couple days later, a position opened up at a middle school in St. Augustine. I immediately emailed the principal my credentials and resume; to my surprise, I received a phone call later that night as I was on my way to meet some friends for dinner. We talked for about 15 minutes as she told me about her school and the wonderful teachers she had. I found myself extremely excited during the conversation... she scheduled an interview for me the following Monday. There was something about her that stuck out to me. That weekend, I prayed a ton and had everyone I knew praying for me. I only felt peace as I prepared for the interview.

The morning of, my husband prayed for me before he left for work. That meant so much to me... it started my day off perfectly. I was not nervous in the slightest bit as I entered the school. I had a wonderful conversation with the principal as we talked about our favorite middle school books and my future career as a middle school teacher. I passed the first 'phase' and then met 6 language arts teachers that had moved with the principal from another school. Again, I was not nervous as we sat and talked as if we knew each other. I brought my portfolio and answered any questions they had about my philosophy of teaching/reading. It was so natural- it was crazy how at ease I felt. 

I left so they could talk about me, and met two girls slightly older than me who were so nice. I knew they had to be Christians (and I was right!) The principal walked out and led me to her office where she told me that she wanted me at her school, and not to accept any other position. She was genuinely excited about me being there, and that was a crazy feeling.

So here I am. I've been planning all week, and I have the most wonderful teachers as guides. I couldn't ask for more amazing people to mentor me through my first year. The other language arts teacher is incredible, and I am so excited about working with her. My school is beautiful... practically brand new, extremely supportive parents, all the technology I could imagine. I am blessed beyond belief to be the 'chosen one' out of 797 applicants. I know that the Lord has a plan for me at Pacetti Bay; I am not sure why He chose me for the position, but I am beyond excited to be there. 

As I am sitting outside on my patio, watching the trees blow through tropical storm Fay, I am at peace with the upcoming first day of school. I'm not quite ready, and I know I'll be terrified the day of, but I know the Lord has me in his hands and will guide me each step of the way. It is imperative that I make the time to ask Him to direct me, because this is His will, His school, and His plan. Did I mention that the majority of the teachers there are Christians? Hot dang! I can't wait to meet each one of my sixth grade babies and hope that I will be conformed to Christ's image each and every day as I love on my kids. 

1 comment:

Dad said...

Rachel, My wonderful, blessed and loved daughter. As I read this through tears, I can't help but be overwhelmed by God's goodness when he gave you to your mother and I. You are truly an inspiration to all those who have crossed your path. There is no doubt that you will continue to inspire all those who come your way in the years to come. We love you, Parental Units