Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Preparing our Hearts

My heart is full, overflowing with pure joy
that comes from the promise of this Christmas season.
God promised to never leave or abandon us, and just when we
thought there was nothing left, He went and did what He promised
in the form of a tiny baby born to a lowly teenager in a barn.
a BARN for goodness' sake.
And here I am stressing myself out over unsent cards
and purchases that Good Morning American insists I need 
and ice skating rinks to be found, gluhwein to be consumed
and should I already have an Elf on the Shelf and be tucking away ideas?
HURRY we only have 3 weeks!!

How easily we forget why there's a Christmas in the first place. 
That it's a celebration of the fulfilled promise, of redemption and pure
JOY that can only truly be experienced when we let go of our control 
and allow God to lead, to show us how to truly love people. 

My hope for this season is to have a heart full of joy
to remember why it is that I fell in love with Christ in the first place
to find a balance between enjoying our commercialized Christmas experiences 
(because those are fun too!) 
but focusing on the reason behind it all.
My prayer is for you to seek out the purpose of this life with me
to find that happiness doesn't only derive from fun experiences, our jobs, or even friends and family 
but the root of it all
true joy, peace, and ultimate fulfillment
comes from loving God
loving people
and truly giving up yourself for the sake of others.


I'll be working through Piper's Advent devotionals if you'd like to join. 
Much love to you at the start of this Christmas season!


http://www.desiringgod.org/books/the-dawning-of-indestructible-joy

No comments: