Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Final Paris Photo Dump

The final Paris episode, and quite possibly my favorite day. 
Utilizing the "Paris Museum Pass," we decided to hit up both Musee D'Orsay and the Louvre in one day. Crazy, I know, but we figured out how do it without wanting to rip our eyes out by the end of the evening.


The day was started at a sweet local bakery that we ended up visiting every morning, called R. Bertraud. If you're staying around Notre Dame, I highly recommend this little place for heavenly pastries and the greatest coffee in Paris. (I had a baguette with camembert every morning, maybe the best thing I've ever eaten. ever.) 

Let's take a picture by our favorite bakery, except we've already left and feel too weird to cross the street to take selfies


No lines again, since we had the pass; we slipped into the Musee D'Orsay and I choked up a bit because Impressionism is my favorite. Monet, Degas, Renoir, and an interesting exhibit on Van Gogh that paired his madness with his biographer's own insanity. 
I was in heaven. 
We only saw what we wanted to see instead of attempting to take in every floor and every piece., knowing that we'd be doing the same at the Louvre later on. 



PS- Museum gift shops make excellent gifts for people. I might have bought a children's book about a little girl who jumps into Impressionist paintings, because who knows, it might come in handy one day.




Here's my other Paris secret- rent bikes to get between the museums and the Eiffel Tower. The walk is way too long. Plus, bikes are just lovely--we only almost died like, once.





"Wait! Rock climbing is on my 30 by 30 list! Take lots of pictures of me so I can cross it off!" 


And a must for all visits to Paris?
Picnics.
With baguettes and brie, preferably with good wine as well, although we failed on that part. 
Oh, and pastries. 









After the picnic we made our way back over to the Louvre, which is massive and overwhelming. We pretty much stuck with the highlights on the map and lasted for maybe two hours, hitting up the Starbucks inside and the gift shop again. 

Upon leaving-- holy cow, the sunset! 









Dinner that evening was at Chez Janou in the Marais, and it was SO. GOOD. 
Like, all discussion at a standstill we savored every bite of our delicious dinners. 
Eat there.






I know this post has been an absolute photo dump, but bear with me!

The last morning before our train to Colmar we hit up Sacre Coeur on a beautiful, sun-shiney day
and popped in to Shakespear & Company on the way back to the flat. 




Absolutely heavenly. And there's a whole upstairs with ancient books where famous writers like Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald used to hang out and borrow books. I could curl up and live there forever. 





We were sad to leave Paris, but all good things must come to an end!
A vow was made to return every five years-- who's coming with next time? 

:)


No comments: